Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Writer's Block

I've been having a bit of trouble with the novel for the past few weeks. No, scratch that -- I've been having an enormous, crushing amount of trouble. I've hit a point where I know what just happened, I know what happens in two more chapters, but I have no idea how to get from here to there. I've written the next chapter six or seven times, six or seven different ways, but none of them work. I'm still hammering on that, but in the meantime, I just decided to skip ahead a few chapters and keep writing from where I can grasp the story again.

It's odd, but when I can't write, I also don't blog. Whenever I try, I feel like I should be doing Actual Writing instead, so I skip the blogging to continue my not-writing. But I'm back at the writing, and also back at the blogging.

It occurs to me, the lack of blogging was the first sign that I was seriously stuck on the novel. By the time I realized the Doom Of Writers had settled into my head, I had already gone blogging-free for three or four days. This might make a good mental barometer for me.

No comments: