Thursday, April 16, 2009

(Yet) more kittens

It's late, I'm tired, but I can't hop in bed just yet. Why not? Because we just found a cat giving birth on our bedspread. That's why not.

Remember Bowie, our new kitten? Turns out she was pregnant when we let her in the house (cat gestational period: 9 weeks, so she had to be pregnant already). We didn't realize until a few weeks ago that she wasn't just getting fat on the rich indoor kitty diet, and by then we would've felt bad throwing her out.

We're still not sure what to do about the kittens. My first thought is to carry the mom and babies outside (I put Bowie in a big plastic tote as soon as we found her in labor) and leave them in the garage; it's pretty safe, and the weather's not bad. I really don't want any more cats inside. Bowie herself seems like maybe one too many sometimes. So a pile of kittens -- while extremely cute -- will eventually turn into a herd of cats we don't have space for or inclination to keep. But I won't put them out until tomorrow at the earliest.

So, anyone want a kitten?

No comments: