Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Odd days off

One of the things I really like about my job is the odd schedule. Like today; it's Wednesday, and I'm off. I'm also off next Monday and Tuesday, I think. The people who do paperwork say that I need two days off every week, and I agree wholeheartedly. But I need to work a lot of weekends, so my days off tend to be placed almost at random, instead of conveniently arranged on the traditional Saturday/Sunday weekend. And when I've got a random Wednesday off, it seems like a treat, a surprise, because I'm still mentally attached to the weekends-off paradigm. There's no excuse for this; my entire adult life, I've worked in the theater, where you tend to work all weekend, every weekend. With the exception of a warehouse job during college, I've never had a Monday thru Friday job. But I still tend to see weekdays off as something special and out-of-the-ordinary. This is probably a good thing, because this point of view means that all my days off feel at least a little like holidays.

And, at the risk of sounding extremely antisocial: days off are always good, but days off when most people are expected to be working are better. It's not uncommon for some outside force to try to appropriate my weekends for their own purposes; it's assumed I won't be working, so I'm free to do whatever they want, at the risk of social penalty if I balk. Working weekends has the huge advantage of being a true, absolute excuse for not doing what other people want me to on my days off. And, as an added bonus, it gives me days off during the week, when people don't think to commandeer my time. A day off on the weekend might become someone else's time, but a weekday off is 100% pure mine mine mine! Selfish, but true....

No comments: