Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Saturn is back!

I go tonight to pick up my car! It's been over two years since it was in working order, so this is how long we've been a one-car family. Or, a one-Jeep, one-bicycle family. I'm not sure how much I'll drive; I like the bike and I like the exercise. And, I even enjoy the attenuation of options. When you've got a car, you can go anywhere and do anything! On a bike, you can go anywhere within five or ten miles, assuming you don't need to carry anything heavy with you, also assuming you can chart a bike-friendly path between here and there. For instance, I never get up to Fry's Electronics; it's a long ride on a lot of extremely bike-unfriendly streets. But, really, I'm fine with this. I don't need to torture myself by window-shopping for electronics I can't afford. As long as Laura and/or I can take the Jeep to pick up cat food and major groceries, I don't mind having my options limited. So having a car but mostly riding the bike might be ideal; I can go the distance if I need to, but I'll spend most of my time on the bike.

In theory. We'll see how that works out when I've got a car, and the bike is suddenly an option instead of a necessity....

No comments: