Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Phantom Beeping Saves My Brownies

I made dark-chocolate brownies tonight with chocolate chips. I popped them in the oven, then crashed on the couch to read until the oven timer went off. A few chapters later, I heard the beeping and went to get them out of the oven. They were done perfectly, the brownies just starting to pull away from the edge of the pan. Then I looked up at the oven clock and saw the original baking time blinking away, 45:00. The timer doesn't reset when it goes off; it switches back to the clock. This means I never started the timer, which means it didn't beep in the real world, only in my head. I wish I thought this was cool -- that the back of my brain has a perfect brownie timer built into it (or maybe I have a baking fairy). But, honestly, I'm more concerned that my subconscious is capable of producing high-quality auditory hallucinations....

BTW, the brownies rock. Here's the recipe:

1. Buy a package of Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Brownie Mix
2. Prepare according to package directions

Complicated, I know, but I've got it committed to memory already -- yet another impressive thing my brain can do.

No comments: