Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Meet The Artist

The current visual art exhibit in the Artsgarden is by local painter Douglas David. He's a rarity for an artist: he's organized. I have no idea how this happened; it's a rare enough trait amongst artists that it makes him nearly unique. He arrived with a precise number of paintings (120), and an exact plan for how he wanted each displayed in the cases. And they arrived in order. Really, I'm impressed. Normally, on the morning of their load-in artists can't even tell us how many works they brought with them. So it's a treat to work with someone who's nice, organized, and efficient.

And, I like his work. This exhibit is a collection of 3" X 5" original oil paintings that recreate things he saw on his recent Creative Renewal trip to Europe, and I like the style. Evocative, painterly, recognizable -- fun little works, and lots of them. We're having an unofficial opening for the exhibit in the Artsgarden this Friday, 5 to 8; if you'd like to meet the artist, this is your convenient chance.

Also of note, he's got close to the perfect artist's website. It displays a good variety of his work, it's nicely organized, and it's friendly and pleasant to look at. And, while it's a sales tool, it's subtle about it; if you want to buy something, it'll help, but it doesn't annoyingly scream BUY BUY BUY! the way some artists' websites do.

2 comments:

NerfSmuggler said...

I just realized that you re-used the title "Meet the Artist" and found out that there were some more entries that I missed between the first MtA and the second.

I was checking out his website -- I guess I'm not that moved by oil paintings. I also noticed that his pages were marked copyright 2009-2010. Does he have a time machine?

Jeff Mountjoy said...

The oils are good paintings; what's more interesting is the collection as a whole, in the same way that a state quarter is less interesting than a display of all 50 state quarters. And the quarters are more interesting still if they're arranged chronologically, or geographically. And I respect the fact that they're representational; so much art I've seen recently needs to be explained in detail before it's enjoyable, that I'm enjoying art that's just pretty (not mentioning the art that's just ridiculous, like the three pieces of yarn at the IMA).

And, as someone who needs to work with the artist, rather than just see the work -- I can't stress enough how nice it is that he's not only professional and organized, he's also a nice guy....