Saturday, January 10, 2009

Dance Kaleidoscope: they rock!

I saw Dance Kaleidoscope's Magical Mystery Tour last night, and it was a lot of fun. They did the same show in late March, 2007, and I think I enjoyed this version more. It helps that I was in a better mood when I saw it; I was fairly in a fairly surly state of mind last time. It also helps that I'm less actively irritated by Beatles music now than I was then. I enjoyed the lighting, the dancers were great, and the thematic arc of the show as a whole seemed more apparent this time.

One thing that really struck me this time was how much a role changed with a different dancer performing the role. I don't think it's a matter of better or worse, but different dancers really lend a different flavor to a character. It's also interesting to pay attention and see if you can figure out what, exactly, makes the difference; the choreography hasn't changed, just the dancer. The difference between serious and lighthearted, or energetic and subdued, is subtle but real, and the show was changed as a result.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend it; showtimes are tonight (Saturday) at 8pm, and tomorrow (Sunday) at 2:30pm. You can buy tickets online here. Check it out!

No comments: