Friday, January 09, 2009

Bad Movies I Love

This came up in conversation a few days ago: there are movies I really enjoy, that apparently everyone else in the world hates. Don't get me wrong -- I hate Battlefield: Earth as much as the next guy. Heck, I even dislike BioDome (Metacritic's worst-rated movie ever) and Gigli (which didn't even make the top 100 on the Metacritic list o' bad), and I've never even seen them. But there are some movies that are generally regarded as terrible that I really enjoy. A partial list:
  • Chain Reaction. Keanu Reeves, Morgan Freeman, Rachel Weisz, and Brian Cox in a movie without genre. It's got not nearly enough action to be an action flick, not enough drama to be a suspense movie, and not enough love story to be a romance. But I think its genre-free nature makes it charming.
  • Hudson Hawk. I really like this movie; Bruce Willis plays a fun character, Richard E. Grant and Sandra Bernhard make good villains, and it's an entertaining kind of silly. And I'm amused by the fact that a cup of cappuccino plays a recurring role in the story.
  • Cyborg. Old Jean-Claude Van Damme movie, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's just fun to watch, even though there's no way around the fact that it's an awful movie. Favorite moment: our hero confronts the bad guy, and the bad guy has a great opportunity for a speech-making moment. And his speech consists entirely of the screamed word "fuuuckeeeeer!" Classy.
  • Freejack. Sir Mick Jagger as the bounty hunter. Sir Anthony Hopkins as the billionaire. Two knights, one entertaining movie. And, no -- it's not good. But I have fun watching it.
  • The Fountain. Of the few people who have seen this, most seem to really dislike it. I thought it was great, and it gets better the more I think about it. And it's genuinely science fiction, in extremely cool ways. A bit esoteric, but good.
  • Starship Troopers. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I really liked this movie. It was a horrible adaptation of the Heinlein novel; had they changed character names, I would've made it all the way through the movie and never connected that it was based on the book. But it was an entertaining bad sci-fi action movie. Laura hated this movie; I think I still owe her chick flicks for dragging her to see this on the big screen.
This is but a partial list of bad or unpopular movies I really like. Anybody want to add one to the list?

2 comments:

NerfSmuggler said...

We'll assume that Banlieue 13 is considered obscure rather than bad. Also maybe obscure and one I assumed bad until proven otherwise by the presence of Meryl Streep and (how scary is this?) Written, Directed and Staring Albert Brooks -- I really liked Defending Your Life.

Jeff Mountjoy said...

I've gotta say I liked Defending Your Life as well. And, yeah -- Banlieue 13 is on the list of faves, two posts later.

A recent odd one: The Holiday, with Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, and Kate Winslet, was 50% good movie, 50% bad movie. It had two story lines, one in Britain and the other in Los Angeles, and the LA story line was sweet and fun. The British story was stretched, dull, and hollow. And I really liked the LA half of the story. It'd be an interesting experiment, to watch the movie and fast-forward every time Jude Law and/or Cameron Diaz are on screen....