Thursday, November 06, 2008

Deep political thought for the day

We were watching Obama's speech on election night, and we were both impressed; he made me want to volunteer for something. But when he walked to the podium, my wife said, "this is an awfully exposed space. I hope the secret service has all the sight lines covered." I agreed; we were both hoping he wouldn't get shot in the middle of his speech. And it occurred to me: if McCain had won, we never would've wondered if some liberal wacko was going to take a shot at him during his speech. I can't put my finger on why, but it seems it's always the reactionary/conservatives who are the dangerous ones. I don't know what angry liberals do; sign petitions, maybe? But in my memory, it's been angry conservatives who blow up federal buildings, shoot doctors, and beat gay teenagers to death.

Or, now that I think about it for a minute, angry liberals are naughty too: they trash animal testing labs, spike trees, and vandalize mining equipment. But they don't have a body count....

No comments: