Friday, September 26, 2008

Working Too Much (again)

I'm in the middle of One Of Those Weeks. I worked 12 hours Tuesday, 18 hours Wednesday, normal days yesterday and today, and I'll be working a 14 on Saturday. I'm noticing that I'm not as good at this as I used to be; long days didn't bother me when I was in my twenties, but now I'm feeling a bit wiped out already. I'm planning on going home after work and doing nothing other than napping and sleeping; I might not even read.

I think part of my lack of coping skills with long days might have something to do with being on salary. When I was paid hourly, I at least had the comfort that my extreme overwork would land me a big fat stack of cash on payday. Now, I semi-regularly pull long days or long weeks for which I get no real compensation at all. I get home too tired to write, too late to work in the garden, sometimes (like today) without even the minimal amount of mental energy required to read a damn book, and my paycheck doesn't change at all. I theoretically get comp time, but realistically, when will I ever get the chance to take an extra 20 hours off to make up for this week? As it is, I only got one day off last week, because there's too much going on and my part-time help has odd availability. Realistically, the comp time's just gone. Coupled with the fact that I never take much of my vacation or sick time anyway, I get the short end of this deal.

I know I'm conflating two issues here a bit: working so much that I'm too tired to do anything else, and working extra hours without compensation. If I got paid an extra 40 hours to make up for my extra time worked this week and last, I'd presumably still be tired. But I'd definitely be less grouchy....

No comments: