Saturday, July 12, 2008

Striking "I deserve a treat" from my vocabulary

I'm trying to reduce my discretionary spending to zero so we can get debts paid off faster. I'm doing okay so far. I only buy clothes when I absolutely need them, according to the "will I wear this all the time?" rule; my last year's clothing purchases consist entirely of socks, underwear, and work pants. I can't remember my last video game or music or DVD purchase, and I've fought the urge to buy new glasses, even though these are ten years old. I'm spending no unnecessary money on the bike, either. I've been needing a $20 fender for my bike for a year, but I haven't been able to justify the expense. And still no rack or saddlebags. I've gotten extremely comfortable with the idea of not buying stuff.

But I can't resist the temptation to spend too much money on food. I eat out at work way too much. And I keep treating myself with food. I can justify buying myself a $4 mocha at South Bend if I've had a good day. Or if I've had a bad day. Or if I just Deserve A Treat. This is my universal rationalization for spending money on junk food or fast food: "I deserve a treat!" I need to stop telling myself this. Or replace the paradigm: exchange "I deserve a mocha today!" for "I deserve to be debt free, and spending money on expensive coffee doesn't help!"

No comments: