Tuesday, July 01, 2008

The somewhat wild party

We hosted the fifth annual Geezer Party this weekend. Laura and her friends Mike and Kerry all have birthdays within a few weeks of each other, so we have a party for the three of them and a pile of friends. I'm not sure how many people came; we had 60 or so RSVPs, but I never counted actual attendees. Everyone had a good time, met new people, and caught up with old acquaintances. Laura was a wonderful hostess, and we both had a good time.

One thing I forget from year to year is how much energy the party takes. The event is Saturday night, but it occupies every minute of my time between Friday after work until sometime Sunday afternoon. We do a thorough house cleaning, I weed the garden, we cook and marinade and shop and build the barbecue pit and borrow lawn furniture and a whole host of odds and ends to make the party happen and help the guests enjoy themselves. After everyone leaves, we clean everything up; I think the party ended around 2am, and I finished dishes around 3:30. By the standard of some of the parties that happen in our neighborhood, we finished awfully early....

One of the Geezers, Kerry, now lives in Michigan and generally only makes it to Indy for the party every year. It's nice seeing him and his wife, Beth, and we all enjoyed meeting his new son Johnathan. I don't think I've seen them since I helped them move, so I'm glad they were our temporary house guests. Also nice to catch up with some of the people I see on a fairly regular basis, but never have a chance to talk to.

Now we've got an entire year to forget how much trouble the party is. Hopefully we won't start remembering until the invitations go out next year!

No comments: