Friday, June 27, 2008

My wife: funny! And, a glimpse of how the other half thinks.

Laura and I had breakfast this morning at a restaurant on the east side. We shared the place with a few dozen members of the Fraternal Organization of Eagles. Our conversation, in part:

Jeff: I'm noticing that the average Eagle's age is probably 75, and the youngest Eagle's probably 60. I wonder if there's a similar organization with a radically younger membership.
Laura: Crips, maybe. Or Bloods.

Thought that was funny, had to share.

And, speaking of gangs, at the table next to us were two older couples talking politics. It was instructive, hearing them talk. The women were saying, in part, that they could never vote for Obama because of his wife. They wouldn't want a black first lady, because they were nervous about how she'd decorate the White House, possibly in gang colors of some kind, because you know how black people are with the gangs and the drugs. You might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm really not. This is one of the big reasons Obama might have trouble in the election -- you really can't talk to people whose heads are full of this crap....

No comments: