Sunday, May 11, 2008

I Has A Sad.

Our newest batch of kittens -- all four of them -- were killed by dogs this morning. In our backyard. They were only a month old, and they were very cute, somewhat social, and highly cuddly. They were the first kittens we've actually watched being born. And dogs hopped our fence and killed them all, on our back patio. Tommy, the momma cat, watched me collect the kittens, dig the hole, lay the bodies in, and bury them. When I had finished filling in the hole, she sat on top of the mound of dirt and yowled for a few minutes; it made me cry. But the sadness is slowly being replaced by anger. We do our best to take care of our outside cats; we provide them shelter, food and water, we give them treats, we even take them to the vet when they're sick. It'd be nice if we had a little help protecting them, in the form of either the city taking care of the feral pack in Brookside park, or our neighbors not letting their dogs run free.

I'm seriously considering getting a crossbow to deal with the dog problem. Silent, effective, un-subtle. Our current dog-control system involves yelling at them and chasing them out of the yard; it's not very effective, given that we have to be home and watching to shoo the dogs away. With the crossbow, I'd only have to catch them in the yard the first time. I'm not sure what potential legal issues there might be with this, but at this point I'm really not caring too much. I'm tired of picking up the corpses of our pets....

1 comment:

TheDogThatAteYourKittys said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.