Saturday, March 15, 2008

Walking: the oldest means of transportation

I walked home from work today, mostly because I was curious how long it would take me (65 minutes) and if I was in such bad physical condition that a 4.3-mile walk would wear me out (not really, but I could tell I wasn't wearing good shoes). I could see jogging to work this summer, if I'm feeling inclined to be healthy and active; four miles is a reasonable jog, though twice daily might be a bit much.

Amazon carries over 900 books about walking. I didn't read any of them before walking home today, yet I made it without any problems (I might be some sort of walking prodigy). I'll have to pick one of the books up at Borders tomorrow and glance through it; mostly, I'm curious how you can fill a few hundred pages with walking. Possibly you talk about shoes a lot, and clothes, and monitoring your heart rate, and the importance of staying hydrated, but beyond that I can't see what belongs in the book. Do they talk about common-sense rules, like not walking at night through scary neighborhoods? Do the authors stress the importance of looking down occasionally while you walk, so you don't step in mud or dog poop? Do they discuss technique at all, or do they assume we've all mastered the basics of one-foot-in-front-of-the-other? Are there chapters on the importance of arm-swinging while you walk? These are all questions I want answers to. I'll find out at Borders tomorrow.

2 comments:

Ted S. said...

Why bother going to the bookstore? You could always Amafake it (or would that be "commit a nonficliff"?).

NerfSmuggler said...

OK, so what did you find out? I can't imagine more than a single page about the mechanics and then most of it would in a FAQ format where the majority of answers have an implied ", idiot." at the end.