Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Costume Drama

Tomorrow night: the Rose Awards. Tonight: the pre-Rose Awards laundry and clothing panic. The invitation said that formal dress is not required; a suit or sport coat would be fine. Oddly, I can do formal dress more easily than a suit or sport coat. I own my own tuxedo, but no suit parts or blazers or sport coats. Part of me is tempted to hit the mall and pick up some appropriately semi-formal clothing. I'd like to look professional, and I'd like to represent the Arts Council well. On the other hand, a dress shirt and tie and clean pants is probably dressy enough, and I already own them. As for looking professional, I'm a tech guy. We've got different standards of professional dress, which I'll already be violating by not wearing a belt full of tool pouches, a hat of some kind, and shoes I can climb steel in.

I'm not sure why, but I've never been particularly comfortable at formal events. I've done enough of them that I'm a bit surprised they still bother me. But I never feel like I belong. I've always got a bit of the sense that I'm some kind of impostor, a tiny bit of fear that people will discover that I'm just faking the class and dress and manners. Then they'll, I don't know -- maybe mock me or throw me out of the room or something. I'm not saying this is a rational fear. But it's there nonetheless.

So wish me luck for the awards, and social graces for the dinner.

3 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Lots of luck, and I hope you receive the award. You sell yourself short on your ability to make people feel comfortable, and you are VERY knowledgeable about what to do in town. As an outsider, I felt right at home when we were traversing downtown. And, you seemed to know EVERYONE!! That's pretty darn cool :)

Anonymous said...

Good luck tonight!! We will be thinking about you. BTW -- you fit in well in any setting. From hanging off a cliff to working backstage to receiving an award onstage! Love M&D

Clint said...

Sorry you didn't get a Rose.

I think you're just used to being a techie at formal events where you have a clearly defined role and duties to perform. As a participant, you're more adrift.

I'm not one for public speaking, but if I've got to brief a room full of muckity-mucks on some technical issue or direct a crew of technicians, no problem -- I even tell jokes.