Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A mid-show crash

I had a new kind of trauma today during our performance. For the first time ever, I had a power failure during a live show. Thankfully, it wasn't an unnaturally complex show -- just three singers with microphones. They managed okay with no amplification, or so I heard; I spent most of their performance trying to track down the power glitch. The building's power was only down for a second or so, but the audio power didn't come back with everything else. And hunting down that problem took me the rest of the performance and then some. Problem? A power conditioner for the audio system, located somewhere appropriately obscure and inaccessible, needed to be reset. But troubleshooting the problem and fixing it was pretty time consuming.

I feel bad for the performers, and I'm aware of how unprofessional this looks when the sound system dies and doesn't come back. I'm fully aware that there's nothing I can do about power failures, and there was really no way I could've fixed it any quicker. Still, I feel bad for the performers. It's a problem on our end, but it makes them look a little bad too.

Still, I've gotta say, I was a bit surprised and defensive when I overheard the performers vociferously grouching about how badly they were "mistreated" by us. Look, guys: power failure. We didn't do it on purpose. I don't hate you, and and even if I did, I'm a professional -- I wouldn't show it. Plus, a power failure is an extremely complicated, labor-intensive way to make you look bad. Think about it for a second, people; I'm the sound guy. If I felt the need, I could probably make you sound awful, make it look like it's all your fault, and not leave my comfy sound-guy chair to do it. A power failure, on the other hand, is a lot of work. Geez. If you're going to assume I'm prejudiced and malicious, at least give me the credit of also assuming I'm lazy....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

why would they assume your lazy... or why would you want them to. Its ok to be malicious but lazy is inexcusible....

Anonymous said...

I wrote that.... Drew

Jeff Mountjoy said...

Ahh, you're right -- oddly, I'd rather be thought of as malicious than lazy. Though I'm more likely to be lazy than malicious....