Monday, February 11, 2008

Check out Inishmore!

If you're in Indy, I'm recommending that you catch the Phoenix Theatre's production of The Lieutenant of Inishmore. It runs every Thursday (7pm), Friday (8pm), Saturday, (8pm) and Sunday (2pm) thru March 9, so you've got lots of opportunities to catch the show. And it's entertaining. For a theatrical production, it's awfully violent and gory -- so much so, that it becomes cartoonish by the end of the play. And it's funny. It's a dark comedy, but still a comedy. It's the story of an Irish terrorist who's so angry the IRA wouldn't let him join, who travels back to his home village to care for his ailing cat. Violent hijinks ensue. The actors fire off around 45 pistol blanks, and something like four gallons of stage blood spatters the floor every performance. I don't want to spoil anything, but it's worth seeing if you get the chance. And, only $25! Practically a bargain, for a theater show!

I have to say, I really wasn't expecting to like the show. Laura (who did the lighting design) had been regaling me for a week with stories about rehearsal trauma and special effects trauma and a whole host of production difficulties in the week leading up to the opening. I was expecting to see some of that on stage, but the production was polished and professional. And, I wasn't expecting it to be as funny as it was. I was pleasantly surprised by almost every aspect of the production; even the actors' Irish accents were pretty good.

No comments: