Saturday, January 12, 2008

Logan Runs, but I forgot him

Today, a day off!

I celebrated by watching Logan's Run with Laura. I remember watching it years ago on broadcast teevee when I was in grade school. Laura and I had fun rewatching it together. It might be one of the low points of Michael York's acting career, at least in terms of his talent, but maybe one of my favorite roles for Peter Ustinov. It's extremely 1970s, and it has some fun moments, some quality science fictioniness, and surprisingly good set and costume design for a '70s sci fi movie. And, while I remember having watched it, it quickly became apparent that I didn't remember anything at all about the movie itself.

I've experienced this a few times in the past year, with movies and books. A few weeks ago, I made it about 40 pages into a book before I figured out I had already read it (and it was a character name which finally triggered my recollection). And Laura and I rewatched a few episodes of Angel last week, and one of them didn't look familiar at all. I'm sure I watched them all when we first got them on DVD a few years ago, but I apparently forgot everything about an episode or two. If I were a bit older, I'd call these "senior moments". As is, I'm not sure to what I should attribute the holes gaping in my memory. If I'm like this at 36, I'm wildly curious to see how bad my memory gets when I'm 70....

2 comments:

Ted said...

Let me get this straight. You liked the costumes in Logan's Run? Maybe your taste is going the way of your memory! :-)

Jeff Mountjoy said...

Really, the costumes were pretty good. They had thematic similarity, but a lot of variations within the design concept. Given the conceit that people of different ages are expected to wear different colors, the clothes seemed like the kinds of things that people would wear, given where and how they lived. I also appreciated that the women of the future wear practical shoes with no heels. High heels are one of the most impractical things the fashionistas have ever invented, and I'm glad to see at least one version of the future in which they're obsolete....