Saturday, December 15, 2007

Writing, lots

You might have noticed that I haven't posted much recently. I'm not dead or anything (though I was moderately sick early in the week); I'm just trying to make my computer time as fiction-related as possible this week. I've had a day or two off with no commitments, so it's been an experiment in how writing works for me if I have an entire day in which to do it. My first big observation: writing is tiring. After an hour or so, it gets easier. But after four or five hours, it becomes pretty difficult again. The first hour takes real mental effort; I really have to fight the urge to stop at some point during that warm-up period. I can always fill my time with worthwhile-seeming activities that aren't writing: laundry, housekeeping, reading, cat maintenance, lawn work (I raked Monday!), reading author blogs, writing on my own blog (see, the word "writing" is right there! How can that be bad?). And I've got a lot of distractions that are harder to rationalize. I can always watch movies or catch some old Buffy episodes on DVD, and I've got a horde of video games fighting for my attention. And I succumb to the distractions more than I'd like to admit. But the week has been relatively successful. I'm close to finished with a short story that started as a novel idea but shrank significantly when I couldn't figure out how to expand the basic idea. I'm still not happy with it; I don't know how to reconcile a light-hearted viewpoint and funny main character with some pretty gloomy goings-on, so it seems uneven and choppy. Still hammering on it. If it works out nicely, I'll post it somewhere for perusal and comments.

1 comment:

Janna said...

I agree, writing is hard work! With a thesis looming ahead, I'm always trying to figure out how to juggle work and life and writing...