Friday, December 21, 2007

Getting sick

I started getting sick Wednesday night, losing my voice and coughing a lot. Yesterday evening I started getting worse, picking up a fever and chills; at bedtime, I was running a 101-degree temperature. Today is better than yesterday, but I'm still severely under the weather. My current plan involves food and sleep and some OTC cold medicine. I hope I feel normal tomorrow, since that's Laura's and my only day to go Christmas shopping. And, no, I haven't done my shopping yet.

Am I the only person who prefers getting sick on days off? I caught myself thinking, when I was feeling particularly miserable last night, that I was awfully glad I didn't have to work today (which, today, meant only working three hours). I'm not sure why, but for the last few years I've been happier being sick on days off, than on work days. I think it might have to do with the fact being sick on a work day generally means that I go to work sick, so I experience the unpleasantness of the illness while I'm busy and unable to relax or take it easy....

No comments: