Monday, December 10, 2007

Author surfing

I should mention than I found the Tao of Coffee via a link on his wife's LJ. His wife is author Cherie Priest, and I catch up on her blogging every few days. She's one of a growing number of author blogs I read on a regular basis. Other author blogs on the list:

John Scalzi (The Whatever) -- the only author blog I read daily
Justine Larbalestier -- whose blog I enjoy, even though I've never read her books
Lynn Viehl (Paperback Writer) -- Laura likes her paranormals, I like her writing about writing
Orson Scott Card (Hatrack River) -- though I dislike his politics, I like his writing enough to get over it. And Uncle Orson Reviews Everything is a great weekly column.
Kat Richardson (My Own Personal Grey) -- a personal look at the life of a new, published writer
Patrick and Theresa Nielsen Hayden (Making Light) -- not writers, but the editors at Tor
Steve Perry (Old Enough to Know Better) -- a sci fi writer, an aspiring musician, and a practitioner of the same scary martial art I once studied

These are a horrible temptation. When I sit down at the computer, I should be writing. Period. But reading blogs by other writers is an easy distraction, and easy to rationalize. I'm reading about writing! That's almost like writing, isn't it?

I really can't understand how so many published writers can spend so much time doing things that aren't writing. I can barely find chunks of time to write, and I can easily fill them with huge amounts of vaguely writing-related surfing if I let myself. Then again, I can really see the benefits of community for writers. It's something I don't have, and I find myself surfing writer blogs when I'd really prefer to be communing with other writers. It'd be nice to have a peer group to consult with about writing problems, and to share with when things are going well. But the peer group of unpublished writers is simultaneously huge and rather sparse, and remarkably less useful than published writers would be. It's the difference between asking your fellow students for advice, and asking your fellow professors for advice....

No comments: