Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving: The Parade

Happy Turkey Day, all!

Laura and I traditionally watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade in the morning, no matter what else we're doing. This year, I even set up a teevee in the kitchen so we wouldn't miss anything while cooking. We enjoy watching, but the thing that struck me this year was the horrible Broadway musicals showcased in front of Macy's. The musicals this year were, as I recall, Legally Blonde: The Musical, Young Frankenstein: The Musical, Xanadu: The Musical, and Mary Poppins. I was seriously appalled by Legally Blonde. I can't imagine thinner source material for a Broadway show. Who thought this was a good idea? Xanadu wasn't much better, or maybe worse. And Young Frankenstein was pretty bad as well; from what I saw (I'm working under the assumption that they excerpted the best parts), it was pretty cheesy. And the cast can't really compete with Gene Wilder, Marty Feldman, Peter Boyle, and Teri Garr. I thought that Mary Poppins could be good; the lead sounds remarkably like Julie Andrews, and it started as a musical. But they couldn't fight the urge to Broadway it up a bit, and the changes weren't for the better. The source material is all familiar to, and generally adored by, its audience, so it's crucial to keep it at least somewhat authentic. But they didn't seem to.

Also, none of these are even vaguely original ideas. I'm wondering if the writers' strike was preceeded by a few years of deliberately low creativity, sort of a writer's work slowdown....

No comments: