Saturday, September 08, 2007

Of The Yummy: oatmeal with chocolate chips

The Au Bon Pain on Monument Circle serves oatmeal for breakfast. It's not even that expensive, for downtown Indy values of expensive. They've got raisins, almonds, and brown sugar you can heap onto your oatmeal if you desire. And: chocolate chips! I have never tried putting chocolate chips in oatmeal before. It's yummy. And, you don't need a lot. A big spoonful of chocolate chips is plenty. A bowl of oatmeal with a bit of melted chocolate is a wonderful thing; a quarter pound of melted chocolate with some oatmeal isn't quite as good. I'm mostly mentioning this because I discovered the hard way that you don't really want a cup of chocolate chips in your cup-and-a-half of oatmeal. One of these days I'll learn moderation....

I don't know why I had never thought of putting chocolate chips in oatmeal before. It's common knowledge that all foods are improved by the addition of either garlic or chocolate chips (never, ever both at once, though!), and it's pretty obvious that oatmeal isn't on the garlic side of that continuum.

No comments: