Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Music For Going Fast

I've noticed that the right music inspires me to pedal harder, go faster, and make better snap judgments on the bike. After a few weeks of zooming around on the bike, here's the playlist I crank when I feel like making tracks:
  • Trip Like I Do: Filter/Crystal Method (from the Spawn soundtrack; the Crystal Method's original "Trip Like I Do" has a minute-long spoken-word intro)
  • Possession: Sarah McLachlan (the Rabbit in the Moon remix)
  • Bloodbath Dance: Crystal Method (from the Blade soundtrack; extremely repetitive, but high-energy)
  • Block Rockin' Beats: Chemical Brothers
  • Northern Style Kung Fu: Micronaut (good luck finding this on CD)
  • Touched: Vast
  • Blind: Korn (good enough that I forgave the slow intro)
  • Breathe: Prodigy
  • Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap: Joan Jett (not as cool as the AC/DC version, but a little perkier)
  • Headhunter: Front 242 (You Catch The Man!)
  • I Turn to You: Mel C (Twisted Factory remix)
  • Right Here, Right Now: Ice Cube
  • Clueless: Sevendust (really, the whole Alpha album rocks)
  • Polyamorous: Breaking Benjamin
  • Jungle Boogie: Kool & the Gang
  • Not Gonna Get Us: TaTu (Hot Bodies club mix; yes, I own this album. Got it for $1 at a used-record store.)
  • Rocket: Herbie Hancock (You'll notice I grew up in the '80s)
  • Parabola: Tool (this is the only Tool song that survived on the playlist; the rest of their really high-energy songs all have really slow, low-energy intros. Even with Parabola, you've got to skip the last 30 seconds of the track while it dwindles to nothing)
  • The Devil You Know: Face to Face
  • Body Rock: Moby
  • Pain Redefined: Disturbed
  • Mortal Kombat Theme: KMFDM (yes, I'm embarrassed by this)
  • Yub Nub: Forbidden Soul Donut (a heavy-metal cover of the Ewoks song from the end of Return of the Jedi. It's hilarious, and very high-energy.)
  • You Spin Me Right Round: Dope
  • I Am the Law: Anthrax (from the live album; the best version possible)
  • A Man of Constant Sorrow: Alison Krauss (also from the live album. Not particularly fast-tempo, but it makes me ride fast.)
The playlist started a lot longer than this. I was surprised at some of the music that I expected to inspire speed, which I always skipped when it came up in the playlist. Here's a sampling of music I deleted from the playlist:
  • Don't Fear the Reaper: Apollo 440 (another cover song better than the original)
  • I've Got the Power: Snap (I have no idea why this isn't a good going-fast song, but I tended to skip it every time it came up in the playlist)
  • One: Metallica
  • Barracuda: Heart
  • Save Yourself: Stabbing Westward
  • Killing in the Name Of: Rage Against the Machine
  • anything from Rammstein
  • Living Dead Girl: Rob Zombie (the Naked Exorcism remix)
  • Tom Sawyer: Rush
  • Eye of the Tiger: Survivor (yes, I had this on the original playlist. Did I mention -- child of the '80s.)
  • Temple of Love: Sisters of Mercy
  • Vulcan: Snake River Conspiracy
  • Twist the Knife: Napalm Death
  • Angry Again: Megadeth
  • Battleflag: Lo-Fidelity All-Stars (again, a slow, draggy intro -- and the song itself isn't as fast and peppy as I remembered)
  • Can I Play with Madness?: Iron Maiden
  • Night Drive: Andrea Parker (club music; I think the tempo/key change in the middle is hard to pedal to)
I've got other playlists for less energetic rides. If I'm really taking my time and sightseeing, I've got a playlist that's entirely Aimee Mann, Sarah McLachlan, Cowboy Junkies, Tanya Donelly, Regina Spektor,....

No comments: