Monday, September 10, 2007

A bargain!

I have today off. By "off", I mean that I'm not doing any work for which I earn money. I am spending a few hours at the Phoenix Theatre making their moving lights function; I'm good at this kind of thing, and I'm on intimate terms with the lighting designer for their new show, "Altar Boyz". I never know in advance if I'll be any help. If all I do is plug things in and dress cable, I'm just another deck hand helping schlep stuff around. But if problems happen, it's suddenly a good thing I'm there. Today, problems happened. They were complicated, and I fixed them. I like feeling like I did some actual good, instead of spending my day off serving as Random Grunt Labor.

I wonder if the Phoenix realizes what a bargain they're getting when they hire Laura for design work. They pay for her, and they get me for free; I'm like the surprise in the bottom of the Cracker Jack box.

3 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

omgosh! alter boyz was a riot to watch!! i hope you go see the show :)

Ashley said...

Hope you have fun with the lighting. If you do get a chance check out the show "Altar Boyz". It's a really funny show.

Jeff Mountjoy said...

I'm not that familiar with the show. I suspect I'll go see it, because I'm so enamored of the lighting designer. From what I hear, this will be an interesting production, as in, "may you live in interesting times," but I suspect I'll see it on opening night or soon after. I'll post a review after....