Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Smoothie Update

I've been a little lax about my smoothie consumption; I skipped breakfast Saturday, and I had breakfast with my dad two more days. But other than that, I've been pretty good about it. One of my favorites so far was Sunday's concoction: a cup of canned mixed fruit, sans juice; half a cup of orange juice; half a banana; a quarter of a package of tofu; and some ice. Yummy and healthy. And the tofu makes it more filling than the fruit-only smoothie. I also experimented with adding vegetables. To my OJ/banana/tofu/canned peaches smoothie last week, I added some fresh spinach. This wasn't great, but wasn't awful either; I really didn't mind the spinach, except for the occasional stringy bits. Still, I think I'd prefer a smoothie with a side salad to a smoothie with the salad mixed in.

Today I felt like something less healthy, so I made some substitutions. Orange juice lacks protein, so I used milk. And, I thought the ice might be watering it down too much, so I used whatever I had handy in the freezer (cookies and cream ice cream). I added some chocolate syrup for flavor. To keep at least a little fruit in the recipe, I put a cherry on top before I ate it. This might have been my favorite smoothie yet, but I think it contained 50% of my fat intake for the day.

No comments: