Saturday, August 11, 2007

Orson Scott Card -- good essay

I'm recommending you jump over to hatrack.com and read Orson Scott Card's latest essay. I generally enjoy his "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" column, but this one particularly hit home. He talks about organized sports and their place in childhood and society, and his experience was a lot like mine. He's more articulate about the problem than I could ever be, and it was good reading. He also reviews and recommends a sci-fi book I had never heard of. He made it sound so good that I just put it on hold at the library. I'm curious to read it; I might even bump it up on my list when it comes in, even though I'm generally trying to read books in the order I get them, and only one book at a time.

In addition to the essay on sports and society and the excellent book review, he also slams Windows Vista and pledges to go linux. This column was a total home run for OSC. :-)

I spent a lot of time not reading OSC's work. I really like his writing, but I made the mistake of picking the wrong time to read some of his political essays. I agree with a lot of what he says; he's intelligent and thoughtful, and regardless of their positions on the political spectrum, any two honest, intelligent, thoughtful people will agree far more than they disagree. Unfortunately, the first OSC political essay I read was the one in which he claims that George W. is a misunderstood genius and maybe the greatest president in memory. It left a bad taste in my mouth, and it took me two years to be able to read anything else he wrote, fiction or not. But now I'm once again a regular reader of his essays and commentaries. And, for Harry Potter fans, he wrote a fun review of Deathly Hollows and an entertaining point-counterpoint discussion of the Potter novels at beliefnet.com. If you read this last one, be aware that it's in blog format (the most recent entries are on top), so you have to start reading at the bottom of the page.

No comments: