Tuesday, August 21, 2007

More smoothie experiments

Yesterday's smoothie: just like Sunday's, minus the tofu. I wanted to see if it made a difference. It does. Without the tofu, I was hungry again 90 minutes after I finished the smoothie. It tasted fine, but not really better than the tofu smoothie did. So, for future reference: tofu=good.

Today's experiment: 3/4 cup of cottage cheese, a quarter of a pack of firm tofu, and 3/4 cup of nonfat plain yogurt, with three tablespoons of apricot preserves. I had to blend it for over a minute to get a smooth consistency. It was average; better than Saturday's concoction with the chocolate protein powder, but not by much. It was a bit bland, with a strange flavor. Not actually bad, just strange. But it's extremely healthy and almost fat free.

I might have to google some smoothie recipes. The problem is that I have no actual taste. I can't tell in advance what will taste good together, so when I experiment, some of the results are unpleasant. I don't have this problem with baking. Baking is more about chemistry and science, and less about taste. And a cookie recipe can (almost) never go wrong with a line of reasoning that sounds like, "let's add more chocolate chips! And some vanilla!"

No comments: