Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Laptop, on the way

Laura ordered her new laptop from Dell today. And, it's red! With luck, it'll arrive before she leaves on tour!

I did some digging and found that her important programs will run fine on Vista, according to the manufacturer, and that the drivers for her portable printer come preinstalled. So I suspect we'll stick with Vista, at least for a while. I'm curious to play with it a bit, and to see if I can get it more efficient. Two gigs of ram, though -- that should help.

I talked to the guy who created Laura's lighting-design paperwork program, and he said it works fine with Vista. He said he personally can't stand it, though -- the constant barrage of security warnings is maddening. He still uses a Mac for most of his work. I gathered he's one of the many who switch back and forth between Mac and PC in the course of their days; I do, and I know others who do as well. I'm surprised at how easy it is to code-switch when I change OS's. Then again, there's a lot of fundamental similarity between MacOS and XP/Vista....

No comments: