Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Good friends and extremely average chili

I visited some friends in Lafayette on Saturday and had a lot of fun. I almost never get to see Rich and Tina since they moved out of Indy, so it was great to travel a bit and visit them. I hadn't seen their house before, and I also hadn't met Tina's rabbits (who were extremely cute, even the Attack Bunny). I stayed late and we had lots of time to talk and hang out together. Thanks for having me up, guys.

I understand you're supposed to bring some sort of gift when you visit someone, so I brought chili. Every time I make chili it turns out a little different. This chili was decent, but not great. Not enough beans or tomatoes, I think. Here's the recipe I used:
1 1/2 pounds turkey sausage
1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin
2 medium onions
1 large green pepper
1 tbsp crushed garlic
1 large can of whole tomatoes
2 cans red kidney beans
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 tbsp molasses
5 tbsp chili powder

Chop the onions and green pepper; saute with garlic in a little oil over medium heat. Add and brown the meat. Cut up the tomatoes a bit, and add them and the beans (drained) to the meat and veggies. Add vinegar, molasses, and chili powder, stir, and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In retrospect, I should've added another can of tomatoes and another can of beans, and not drained the beans. More to try next time. Eventually, I'll have it perfected. You'll know because I'll turn into a real chili snob. :-)

No comments: