Thursday, August 30, 2007

Defunct webcomics. Pout.

A lot of my favorite funny sites on the web keep going away. Or, really, nothing on the web really goes away -- but they stop producing new content. Here's an incomplete sample of funny things I used to read that no longer update:
Angst Technology
Spaz Labs
Death March
Cheese N Rice
Brunching Shuttlecocks
Casey and Andy
Suburban Tribe

The archives are still there for all of these, but they're no longer doing anything new. Bummer.

The more I think about it, I don't know why I'm surprised about this. Humor online, and webcomics in particular, are a difficult medium in which to make a living -- or any money at all, for that matter. There's probably a peak limit beyond which an artist just can't justify the considerable effort to produce funny product several times a week. Still, I've always been sad to see them fade away. If I'm bored, at a computer, and in need of something funny, I've been known to surf their archives. And I'm glad the creators have at least kept the archives up. Thanks; your fans appreciate it!

No comments: