Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Weber Grill

We've got a new neighbor at the Artsgarden: a Weber Grill. Weber Grill the restaurant, that is. I wouldn't want you to think that a huge charcoal grill moved in next to us; that would just be silly. Oh, wait:


So I suppose we've got two new neighbors, a restaurant and a huge honkin' charcoal grill. The sign is tacky and a little grotesque (in the original sense of the word), while the restaurant is oddly upscale; they sell onion rings and chili, and they also sell $36 steaks. I'd love to tell you if the food's good, but I don't know. I can't actually afford to eat there. I'd like to try one of their burgers, but I don't want to spend the money. I suspect that no hamburger can live up to its $11 price tag; for that kind of money I'd rather wander down the street and get fries, chili, and a shake with my burger for the same price. They had special preview meals for cool important people, but apparently I'm neither cool nor important enough to qualify for advance-dining priveleges. Not that I'm bitter. :-)

I'm impressed that they grill all of their food on Weber charcoal grills. I don't know that it actually tastes better than food grilled over a gas flame, but it definitely gives them a signature style. And, because of the ventilation system required for the charcoal grills, we can smell yummy grilling every time we walk out of our office. I don't know how long I'll be able to resist the temptation to blow too much money on lunch; the aroma is highly tempting, and it'll only get worse. When they fix the escalators, we'll have to walk by the front door of the restaurant every time we make the trip from the Artsgarden to our office. Thankfully they keep a menu posted next to the door, so the prices will help keep me out....

2 comments:

Borrowing the grill pic said...

"They had special preview meals for cool important people, but apparently I'm neither cool nor important enough to qualify for advance-dining priveleges."

Nah, it was for anyone with a reservation, any good restaurant will do this when they open a new location to help their service team to get acclimated. All you had to do was call or stop by. But just a heads up for you in the future, if you see a new restaurant moving in, just call and see when they are doing their "soft" opening. Hope to see you at the Weber sometime. The burger is well worth it.

Jeff Mountjoy said...

In the six months since I originally posted this, I've eaten there half a dozen times. I figured out the trick to making it more affordable: Laura and I split a burger. It's something like a 12-ounce hamburger, so half of a huge burger is still enough to fill each of us up. I've also tried a lot of their barbecue menu -- the meatloaf and brisket are yummy, as is their pulled pork. And this Saturday, I had my first try at their steaks, and it was one of the best filets I've ever eaten.

In this case, they really did have a special invitation-only preview day wherein the food was free. The Indy Convention & Visitors Association got a bunch of invites, as did a few tour companies and other downtown businesses. They also had a few days of soft opening, but the preview day was more of a marketing thing, so the people who are in a position to recommend restaurants will have had a yummy meal at Weber, unencumbered by knowledge of how much the food costs. My boss went, as did a few of my co-workers, but I'm a bit low on the totem pole for this kind of thing....

If you'd like the full hi-res version of this picture, drop me an e-mail at jeff dot mountjoy at gmail, and I can send you the original file.