Friday, July 27, 2007

Covers all over

On a happier note, here's the New York Post's list of their 100 favorite cover songs. I was surprised to know that some of the songs I thought were originals were actually covers. I didn't know that Soft Cell wasn't the creator of "Tainted Love", Pearl Jam didn't write "Crazy Mary", or that The Kingsmen didn't originate "Louie Louie". The list also serves as a checklist of songs I need to hear. I had no idea that Cake covered the Muppets "Mah Na Mah Na" song, and I really want to hear the HIM cover of "Wicked Game".

Laura and I have a running disagreement about cover songs. I'm a firm believer that almost every song from the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, and the Doors is better when covered by someone else. She, being a child of the 70s, believes this to be utter heresy. I'm curious to see what she thinks of the list....

1 comment:

laura said...

after having read the list, what i find interesting about it is that a bunch of my favorite versions are on that list as COVERS! jimi hendrix -- ALL ALONG THE WATCHTOWER, aretha's RESPECT, bowie and queen UNDER PRESSURE and the clash's I FOUGHT THE LAW, to name a few that i thought were originals. bad me, i guess. i also find it interesting that at least 10% of the songs being covered are from the 80s...all those songs that were made fun of for musical one-dimensionality are apparently good enough to be re-visited. i agree that the talking heads version of TAKE ME TO THE RIVER is better than the original (i will go even further and state that the live version out of the movie stop making sense is killer!), as i do with a few others. a good portion of the list i don't know -- although i would love to hear Cake's version of MA NA MA NA -- but i will go out on a limb and say i think no one can beat animal singing it!