Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Book triage

I've managed to keep my pile of books waiting to be read at a pretty constant size (the size? Huge.) for a while now; I've also managed to pare down my currently-reading pile to three books: a fiction book, a non-fiction book, and an e-book. I just put down my most recent fiction read; I didn't finish it, because it was starting to irritate me. As a rule, I like KW Jeter, and Noir was packed with interesting cyberpunk-ish ideas and a rich world, but his dense, self-important writing style just isn't what I'm looking for now. Because the world was so good, I gave it an unheard-of 100 pages of benefit-of-the-doubt, but dropped it there.

Now I'm having to figure out what to read next. I just picked up a pile of good books from the library, I've got a recommendation from a friend (an oldie: Timemaster, from Robert Forward), and I really want to read Tobias Buckell's Ragamuffin, which I picked up at the book signing last weekend. I think I might put off Ragamuffin for a book or two; I really enjoyed Crystal Rain, and I might let the excitement build for a week or two before I dive into it, especially since the next book in the series is still a year from publication. I tend to bump library books to the top of the reading list, since I feel bad keeping them out of others' hands any longer than necessary. I'm leaning towards starting Max Barry's Jennifer Government. It's been on my list for a while, and it just popped up in my library hold queue yesterday. Also, by coincidence, Max Barry's second book, Company, also arrived from the library yesterday. I'm also looking forward to Tim Scott's Outrageous Fortune. I picked it up at Borders a few weeks ago and thought it looked a bit like the kind of thing Terry Pratchett would write if he were American and into post-singularity sci-fi. I've also got a few other odd books I'm looking forward to, but none with the intensity of these. When I'm done with these five, I think I need to spend some time reading fiction that isn't specifically science fiction. For now, I'm pretty sure I'll finish all five of these before I read anything else. I'm leaning towards Jennifer Government first. I'll let you know if it lives up to my expectations.

No comments: