Sunday, July 01, 2007

Book signing!

Yesterday I went to the John Scalzi/Tobias Buckell Book signing at Don's Books in Kokomo. I had a great time, and I enjoyed meeting both of the authors. Also, the bookstore owner (oddly, not Don) is also a blast to talk to, and I'm grateful he makes such an effort to get writers in for signings and readings. It really felt like a vacation, spending two hours in Kokomo with very good speculative fiction writers. And I'm taking mini-vacations wherever I can find them; Norfolk, as much fun as I had, was in no way an actual vacation.

Tobias Buckell was a fun guy to talk with, and I'm glad I got a chance to meet him. I have to admit, I hadn't read his book before. When I heard he was signing with Scalzi, though, I figured it would be courteous to read his first novel, Crystal Rain, so I wouldn't have to completely ignore the blonde guy sitting next to Scalzi at the signing table. Turns out, it's actually a great book; I enjoyed reading it, and I bought the next in the series in hardcover. And I really enjoyed talking with Tobias about the book and how he wrote it. If you're up for some good character-driven sci-fi, Crystal Rain was worth the read.

And of course John Scalzi was also much fun to spend time with. He's an ideal mix of clever, funny, and thoughtful, and he and Tobias are even more fun together than they are apart. For everyone who said they might come to the signing but didn't: hah! You missed a great time!

I bought a shirt at Don's. It's my first t-shirt with writing in years, but I really liked it. Here's the front; the back has the Don's Books logo.

No comments: