Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The Part-Time Job

I got a job offer earlier in the week from the manager at Borders Books downtown. I wasn't actually looking for a job, but they were setting up in the Artsgarden for a book signing and I was my usual extremely helpful literate self, and they offered me a part-time job. It's a tempting offer; I'd get to pet and talk to all the pretty books for hours at a time. Two evenings a week, plus one weekend day. I've already got parking downtown (and a bike), I'd get a 33% discount on books, and I'd love to have the extra income to pay off bills.

But I decided I'm not doing it, at least for a few weeks. One of the reasons I've resisted getting a regular part-time job is that it wouldn't leave me much time for writing, which I'd like to do more of. Problem is, I haven't been doing much writing. So I'm giving myself a few weeks to see if I can actually get serious about the fiction. If I can get in the habit of writing regularly and well, and if I have a sense that I can eventually do it well enough to publish, I'll stick with it and start taking it more seriously. If I can't get myself into good writing habits in the next six or eight weeks, I'll dive into the part-time job with a clean conscience. And I'll give up on worrying about writing, at which point I'll need to do some serious looking at what I want to do when I grow up.

How will you know what happens? If I'm writing in mid-July about starting work at Borders, that'll be the sign.

No comments: