Thursday, April 12, 2007

The French Toast

For the past few weeks I've been making French toast for breakfast. It's quick, it's easy, and it's really good. We use Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread; if you've never tried this, grab some the next time you're at the grocery. It makes amazing French toast. Two eggs, a few tablespoons of milk, and a teaspoon or so of vanilla make up the batter, and we eat it with real Vermont maple syrup. The syrup is a treat; a friend in Vermont has a neighbor who makes maple syrup, and he sends us a jug every year. I grew up with Mrs. Butterworth's, which is maybe the best of the corn-syrup-based grocery store syrups, and it's barely recognizable as food compared to real, authentic, fresh-from-the-tree maple syrup.

I've been noticing that I'm turning into a lightweight. There was a time when I used three or four eggs just to make French toast for myself; now, Laura and I split two or three eggs' worth of French toast. And I've usually got a bit of batter left over, which I toss in the hot skillet to make a little crepe-like omelet. The vanilla goes oddly well in an omelet.

When I was growing up, Dad made French toast for the family almost every weekend. We never got tired of it, and it was a real production; Dad had it down to a science. A lot of my friends have happy memories of visiting on weekend mornings for Dad's French toast, too, and it was a fun family time. We had lots of little running jokes about everything, and French toast mornings are some of my fondest memories of growing up.

I didn't really have a point to all this. I just wanted to share some happy food-oriented thoughts.

1 comment:

Jennifer B. said...

Heh - I love french toast! And, I have very fond memories of spending time at your folks' house too. Your parents were always very inclusive of your friends, which touched me in a special way. I always wished my dad was a bit more like yours, and that my mom was as easy to talk to as yours. Not to mention your siblings were tres' cool! Tell them all hi for me the next time you talk to them, 'k? :)