Thursday, April 05, 2007

Search Engine (de-)Optimization

I just found out that if you google "ance-day aleidoscope-kay eatles-bay" (minus the pig Latin), my earlier grumbling about the costuming for their Beatles show is one of the top six hits. How did I find this out? When DK's artistic director, David, called my wife to comment on my review of the show. Oopsie. I like David a lot, and I don't want to offend him; thankfully he apparently thought my review was funny, and while he didn't necessarily agree with me, he at least respected my opinions. Still, I was a bit surprised to learn that my ramblings were so accessible; I had assumed that I was writing for my normal audience of a few regulars. There are some people I really don't want to offend who might take lots of offense at my DK comments of the past week or so (and who might vent their frustration on Laura). So with that in mind, I'm engaging in search-engine de-optimization. I'm replacing the name of the company in my earlier posts with initials, to make it slightly harder for specific people to google it; DK is both a music publishing house and the top-level domain for Denmark, so it's unlikely someone will dig down a DK beatles Google search far enough to find me.

Normally, high search-engine ranking is a good thing; in this case, less so....
-------------
UPDATE 10-2-07:
I'm re-optimizing the previous entry. Dance Kaleidoscope just got slammed, and slammed hard, for their costumes again, and I think I'd like it known that this isn't a lone opinion. I like the company, I think they do good work, and I'd prefer that they distance themselves from this costumer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are so funny....

the wife!

laura said...

ignore the anonymous...

you are so funny....

the wife!