Thursday, April 05, 2007

I cook, beware!

After her long, stressful production week, Laura got sick. It's viral and sinusy and throaty and ear-y, and she's pretty miserable. She's got work to to this week, so she can't actually relax and take care of herself; still, she's taking care of herself as well as she can, and I'm doing what I can to help.

How bad was she feeling Monday? She let me cook actual food for dinner. This is an impressive thing, because I'm a bad, bad cook. I bake very well, but my cooking tends to be extremely experimental -- by which I mean bad. I cook like a confirmed bachelor with some kind of degenerative taste disorder. If I follow a recipe I can make edible food. But I have a tendency to improvise, and I don't know when to stop improvising. F'rinstance, Monday I made sloppy Joe according to Laura's mom's recipe. It turned out well, because I fought the urge to improvise at all. At one point I found myself thinking that some chopped green peppers and crushed garlic would go pretty well in the recipe, but I didn't add any. Laura said they would've been okay. However, the list of things I considered adding also included: pepper, sage, mozzarella cheese, lemon juice, ground chocolate, sweet pickles, oatmeal, and a can of mandarin oranges. Laura physically recoiled when I mentioned this. And, to me, they all sounded exactly as good as the green peppers and garlic. So I'm better off sticking with the recipe, always. Unless I'm baking, in which case I can invent entire recipes from scratch with a very low failure rate.

No comments: