Tuesday, March 06, 2007

We Don't Spin.

Laura and I knit, and we have a lot of fun with it (even though I still haven't technically finished making my 2006 Christmas gifts, ahem). Some people who are particularly die-hard knitters also spin and dye their own yarn. Hand-knitted gift: cool. Hand-knitted gift made of homemade yarn: even cooler. We don't do this. Partially it's a matter of energy; we barely find time for knitting, and having to make yarn first wouldn't help. And mostly it's because we have cats. I spend a lot of time picking up cat hair, and I just know that if I had a spinning wheel at hand I'd be tempted to spin yarn out of the kitty fur I collect. There's a running joke about some of our cats shedding enough to make a whole new cat. If we had a spinning wheel, I would actually get to find out if this is true. So we're not going there.

No comments: