Friday, March 02, 2007

Blogging oddity

I just figured out that, between my intermittent blog posts at Laura's and my website and my more regular posts here, I've written over 400 blog entries in the past four years. And I've enjoyed all of it. It's a good way to get thoughts on paper, and it's also a good way to keep in touch with friends out of town. More importantly, it gives me something to do that feels like writing when I'm having trouble with actual writing.

I've noticed another advantage to writing things down here. They say that writing your thoughts down helps you clarify them, and this is definitely true. I'd go a step further and say that writing your thoughts down where other people can read them adds another level of clarity. Writing things down helps you organize your thoughts. Writing things down in public helps ensure that your organized thoughts are also coherent and logical. Or, failing that, embarrassing.

One odd side effect of blogging regularly is that your friends tend to have a pretty good idea of what's going on in your life. I've had the experience a few times recently of catching up with someone I haven't seen in a while, and finding that they knew all about what's been going on in my life -- it's all here. So they're stuck listening to me re-tell stories they already know. I don't like repeating the same stories over and over again. Actually, that's not true; I really enjoy repeating the same stories over and over again. I think I inherited the tendency from my grandpa. I dislike boring people to tears by repeating the same stories over and over again, though. And, repeating stories is in the nature of the world; I've only got so many good, funny personal moments. If I don't repeat, I'll end up telling long-winded stories about shopping for lumber or washing dishes. And nobody wants that.

2 comments:

NerfSmuggler said...

If I don't repeat, I'll end up telling long-winded stories about shopping for lumber or washing dishes. And nobody wants that.

I'm starting to see some Scalzi influence on your writing :)

Jeff Mountjoy said...

I'd consider that a good thing. I hope it rubs off on my fiction, too; there's nothing bad to say about his mix of clarity and comedy. Now all I need to do is work on dialogue and description. And plot. And character. And setting.

Wish me luck.