Tuesday, January 09, 2007

XM's hidden danger

I'm discovering the slight downside to having an XM radio. Because you've got so many stations available, the odds of flipping by a station, hearing five seconds of a song, and having that song stuck in your head for the rest of the day are a lot higher than with conventional radio. I won't be evil and name the current song, but I picked it up when I flipped by the 60s channel on the way home last night, and I've still got the song stuck in my head. I've tried every antidote I can think of, but it's still there. Over and over again. I even started singing it in the shower this morning.

I was talking with Laura about the song-in-one's-head phenomenon, and we decided it's only evil to tell people the song if it's a song likely to get stuck in their head too. So if I've got, say, the guitar line from Metallica's Fade To Black on infinite repeat inside my skull, I can probably tell her about it. If it's a song from a show she's done, I had better keep the title to myself; the contagion potential is high. And the spousal penalties for getting a song stuck in her head can be steep -- she might use the withering look, or possibly even sarcasm. I shudder.

Okay, I'll be evil: I Get Around, from the Beach Boys. Bwa ha ha ha!

2 comments:

Jennifer B., Round Rock, TX said...

Heh - it's njot helping me - I have The Ramones' "I Wanna Be Sedated" stuck in my head :/

Jeff Mountjoy said...

Could be worse; the worst I've heard was from my sister, who had "Blister in the Sun" from the Violent Femmes stuck in her head for a few weeks.... Gaaah!