Thursday, January 11, 2007

iPhone and iMacs

I'm extremely psyched about the new iPhone. It looks like absolutely everything I'd ever want in a phone, and then some. I mean that literally: it does things I don't particularly need in a phone. But it looks like it would reduce my portable electronics collection from three items to one; it'll replace my phone, my Axim (which mostly functions as a text reader), and my now-defunct Zen Nano mp3 player. And it has extra toys that I suspect I'd use a lot if I had them: a camera and a GPS. I was quite impressed with the functionality of Carl's GPS on our hike last summer, and I suspect I'd use one a lot if I had it handy. And if it can run some sort of text editor, it'd be a bluetooth keyboard away from being my portable text editor. Nice. If I got one, it'd mean I'd be down to just a tool pouch and the iPhone, thus drastically reducing my need for a utility belt.

Of course, I'm not even close to affording one. So, unless I can talk the PTB's at work into buying iPhones for us, the relative coolness of an iPhone versus my current work phone is a completely irrelevant discussion. Still, it's nice to daydream about.

I need to mention that my favorite moment of the keynote speech was when Steve Jobs demonstrated his prototype by prank-calling a Starbucks from the stage and ordering 4,000 lattes to go.

I should mention that the Artsgarden office is about to go Mac! We're a few weeks from getting a 20" iMac for each of us. The first two, bought on last year's budget cycle in the last days of December, are already waiting in our computer guru's office, and we're installing as soon as the next two arrive. We're currently ordering Mac-based versions of the software we use most often, and we're considering an Open Office alternative to M$Office. I haven't ever used a Mac before, so I'm highly psyched about learning my way around something new. I've got a Mac basics book in my hold queue at the library, which will probably help at least a little. Usually I like to just dive in and play, but a Mac is apparently enough of a paradigm switch that I probably need to adjust my metaphors before I can really make full use of the OS and all the accompanying toys.

3 comments:

Jennifer B., Round Rock, TX said...

I, too, am psyched about the iPhone. I blogged on it over on LJ on Tuesday. But, I'm not sure it ACTUALLY has a GPS. His whole spiel about it knowing where you are ... and the Starbucks thing looked a lot different when I went to Apple's site and played their demo video. The demo video indicated you had to put down the city you wanted in Google Maps, and then narrow it down just like regular web browsing. Did you see something that specifically stated it had GPS - 'cuz that would ROCK!

I, too, am thinking how much I would like an iPhone. I am laughing about the whole "Cingular branding" scheme, though, as AT&T/BellSouth announced Wednesday that the Cingular name is being abolished in the merger over the course of the next 6-9 months in favor of rebranding all the merged company's products under AT&T.

I DO wish, however, they had picked a different carrier for their product. I was one of AT&T Wireless's customers when Cingular bought them, and we were so horrified at the way we were treated, the prices we paid, and the service (both customer and cell) we DIDN'T get, that we left them in favor of another carrier.

Ah well, the technology leap is bound to show up in new iPods, and perhaps in a wider variety (more inexpensive) of iPhones over the next two years - so perhaps when the exclusive carrier agreement ends, we can BOTH get iPhones, eh?

*HUGS*

Jeff Mountjoy said...

I read your LJ entry on MacWorld. Yah, I'm not particularly impressed with Cingular/AT&T either. They aren't totally evil, and they're pretty good about warranty replacements for the parts that keep breaking on their cheap phones. But we've got good coverage where we live, and the staff at our local store are friendly and somewhat knowledgeable, even if they can't always help. Cingular: not great, but not really worse than any of the other options.

A lot of it isn't their fault, though. Phones are disposable technology these days, and are designed and built as such -- no point building something to last, when it'll be obsolete in two years at the most. The iPhone is step in the right direction, at least....

Drew said...

I like the I phone. I just watched the video on itunes very cool.
DC