Monday, January 22, 2007

cookies (flavored with a hint of spite)

I'm baking cookies from a recipe Laura got at work. I don't have a good ginger snap recipe, and this isn't one either. The first batch isn't out of the oven yet so I don't know about the good part, but the dough is yummy, so I have high hopes. But I know they won't be snaps; it doesn't look like that kind of recipe. I'm anticipating they'll come out soft and chewy, which is fine. They're fun to make; the recipe includes 1/8 cup of rice vinegar and 1/2 cup of molasses. You can't go wrong with molasses. And I'm using whole wheat flour, which will affect the texture of the cookies.

I'm feeling a little competitive about this recipe. After Laura tried these cookies at work, she came home and told me they were as good as anything I usually bake. I noticed myself getting huffy and defensive about it, which is odd; I'm a good baker, but I don't have any ego wrapped up in it. I've had lots of baked goods as good as mine, and some better, but I've never had ego trauma about it. My usual reaction when someone tells me they've got great cookies is, "Oooh, gimme! Yum!". This wasn't the case with these. I was so snippy about these that I actually criticized the grammar of the written recipe. It took me a while to figure out why: the person she got the recipe from is one of the few people I've ever met that I genuinely don't like. I don't put any energy into not liking her, but she definitely rubbed me the wrong way. I met her when we did a show together a few years ago, and she was actively rude to me, to the point that it was difficult to do my job. As an example, here's a transcript of my first attempt at small talk:
Me: "So, what are you reading there?"
Her: "A book. What are you, an idiot?"
Yeah. That pretty much tells you everything you need to know. Multiply that by a two-week run of a show, and it wasn't a great experience for me. So I was oddly offended by the thought that she could bake well; I suppose it bothers me to hear great things about people who I think are jerks.

Update: the cookies are, indeed, highly yummy. The molasses shows, and the coarse sugar I coated them with really adds a lot. Mmmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff. I think I know the person and the show you're talking about. I thought you knew the whole story. You were hired to replace somebody who got fired. The girl wanted a friend of hers to get the job but they hired you instead, and she was mad about that. She thought there was some favoritism with you because they hired you even though you were still recovering from a back injury and the stagehands had to move a lot of heavy scenery. I remember she was a jerk to you. I really remember when you asked her about the book. She wasn't normally that way.

Jeff Mountjoy said...

I'm guessing I know who you are, but I can keep good secrets. Thanks for the info; I didn't know that. I'm thinking it still doesn't excuse treating anyone so poorly....