Sunday, December 03, 2006

XM Radio

I've spent a lot of time recently listening to the XM Radio. It's Laura's, and it's installed in her Jeep, so I only listen to it when I'm driving with her or when it's jacked into the stereo at home. But we've done a lot of driving together recently, between Detroit and the Thanksgiving trip to Virginia, so that's a lot of XM time. And one of the advantages of XM didn't even hit me until I was driving in my own car without it: you can look and see what song's playing and the artist who recorded it. I didn't realize what a cool feature this was until I started driving my car again and my MP3 player died. I have a terrible memory for song info unless I've actually worked with the performer in question. I keep hearing 70s oldies and trying to remember who the artist was: Journey? Foriegner? Night Ranger? They all blur together. When I hear a song I keep glancing at the car stereo hoping it'll tell me the artist and title. But I'm low tech in the Saturn, so the only thing the radio tells me is the incorrect time, since I have not yet readjusted from daylight savings time. The other big perk of XM is that you never hear commercials, unless you're listening to the stand-up comedy channels, in which case you hear AM-quality commercials for home mortgage companies. And the music selection on XM is nice. They even have a better hit ratio than you would expect on the Bad Loud Rock stations.

And, I just realized I never said anything here about the trip to Detroit. Laura's friend Kerry moved last month, the weekend my insanely busy week started. We drove up to Ypsilanti (a college-town suburb of Detroit) to help them with the move, because Laura's a good friend and I'm a good husband. Five hours each way, and much carrying of heavy things between. Kerry is a collector, so he had an enormous quantity of collectible things to move: Star Wars figurines, Lord Of The Rings memorabilia, Marvel Comics action figures, even a pair of lightsabers. The filing cabinet and washing machine were heavier but less fragile and much less numerous than the boxes of comic books and the like. It was a great way to ease myself into a hundred-hour work week.

No comments: