Saturday, December 09, 2006

The Great American Novel

I'm trying to think of a story to tell. My unfinished NaNoWriMo novel was a murder mystery, but it didn't really talk to me; I started it because I hadn't thought of anything better to write when November started. So I'm doing time-killer writing while I try to think of a good story. Or at least a good beginning. Or a cool character. Anything, really, that can hold my interest for the length of a novel. And I'm not having much luck.

On the other hand, the time-killing is fun. I'm re-telling familiar stories, doing outlines from memory, describing walking into a room, describing what people look like using as few words as possible, things like that. It feels like work, so I don't feel bad that I'm not working on a story at the moment. Plus, I've been busy; even if I had the brilliant idea I wouldn't be able to work on it much....

No comments: