Sunday, December 31, 2006

cigar bar

I don't drink and I don't smoke. So Nicky Blane's cigar bar is possibly the last place in Indy you'd expect to find me. But the job of designated driver knows no boundaries, so I had to spend a few minutes while I was waiting. I had never been there before, so I was curious what the place was like. The answer? Dark and smoky. I wasn't surprised by the smoke; it's a cigar bar, after all, and one of the few places indoors downtown where you can smoke. And, on reflection, I wasn't surprised by the dark either. Smoking tends to be hard on the body, so the hardcore smokers willing to pay $5 for a place to smoke are probably happier looking at each other away from the harsh glare of halogen lighting. :-) I've never seen the appeal of smoking, especially cigars. I can see lots of disadvantages, and no real reason to do it. The only possible motivation I can think of is the ever-ephermeral coolness. And I've never been able to figure out how it's cool, either, but I'm not one of the world's coolness experts.

A minor irritation: I had to pay a $5 cover charge to get into the cigar bar. $5 for the privelege of wandering into the smoky gloom to pick someone up for a ride. It might be the worst money I've ever spent. I was also amazed at how little cigar-smoke exposure it took to make my sweatshirt stink.

No comments: