Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Baking day!

Yesterday was Baking Day, the annual floating holiday whereupon Laura and I spend a day off at my sister Cindy's place baking Christmas cookies with our nephew Alex and niece Amelia. This year was much fun; we made spritz cookies and chocolate chip cookies, and any time spent with the kids is punctuated with funny cute-kid moments. This year's list:
  • Alex and Amelia had a system going for adding chocolate chips to the batter: drop a handful in the dough, cram a handful in the mouth.
  • Amelia kicked the KitchenAid stand mixer on high right after we added the flour. POUF! She ended up covered in flour from her hairline down. She very briefly whined about getting flour in her eyes, but Cindy was too busy laughing to wipe her down right away.
  • We made several shapes of spritz cookies: Christmas trees (very traditional); Hanukkah armadillos (a reference to a Friends episode I never saw; Cindy assures me it's hilarious), and Kwanzaa hot dog/angels (we were on a roll).
Another non-baking moment of cuteness: Alex and Amelia's favorite song is Kiss's "Rock and Roll All Night"; I think their father's enormous level of Kiss fandom might have something to do with this. A & A dance to the song, and it's really funny to watch. They dance at least as well as I do, and in a very similar style.

And, I was impressed with Amelia. Since I saw her last she's turned from a toddler into a little person. She was a lot of fun to bake with. As were Alex, Cindy, and Laura. I don't have a lot of holiday traditions, but I think I'll keep this one for a while.

No comments: