Thursday, November 09, 2006

Writing: hard!

I write a lot, and I'm constantly amazed at how hard it is to write. I was just thinking about something Steven Wright said: "I don't understand why anyone would take years to write a novel when you can buy one for just a few dollars." It's a lot of work. People who write know this, and I know it too. But I started writing with the expectation that it would get easier over time, and it really hasn't. I still struggle with mostly the same things I struggled with when I started. But I've got an advantage now, one I didn't have when I first started writing: my wife. It's nice to be able to ask someone for an honest opinion, and to know I'll get it. Sometimes it's favorable, sometimes it's not, but it's always honest and I appreciate that. If all she ever said was, "yes dear, it's fabulous and you're the next Hemingway," there would be no point in my even asking. So thanks, babycakes. I appreciate it.

The NaNoWriMo novel isn't going as well as I had hoped. It's a long story (both the novel and the reasons it's not going well). The short version is that November might be the worst month of the year for me to attempt this, especially this November. I've got almost no days off, and a lot of my days are long and not conducive to writing. I like the idea, though, so if I don't get to finish this month I might try again in December. A novel in a month: even if it's a bad novel (almost guaranteed!) it'll be good for me.

Now, back to the bad novel.

No comments: